Monday 2nd January 2017


Midland Football League Premier Division


Quorn 0 Rocester 3


Rocester produced probably their best performance of the season to date at Quorn on Monday, and were rewarded with a fine 3-0 win that lifts them up to 12th place in the Midland League Premier Division.


On another day the Romans could easily have doubled their tally after dominating their hosts practically from start to finish. Their intent was clear from the off and during the opening exchanges efforts from Tom Brown and Martin Smyth were narrowly off target, and soon afterwards Callum Riddell was unlucky with another shot that was deflected wide.


The home goal had further let-offs when Oliver Roome’s low shot was well-saved by goalkeeper Leighton Smith, who then had to thank team mate Jimmy Brooks for a superb goal line clearance from Smyth’s follow-up shot.


Rocester’s excellent approach play continued to go unrewarded when defender James Frost met a far post cross with a downward header (below) that Smith did well to block, before Frost instinctively stabbed the rebound past the post.


The breakthrough finally arrived in the 39th minute when Riddell produced a moment of magic. Under pressure, the striker brilliantly clipped a sublime diagonal shot over the crowded penalty area and into the far top right-hand corner, leaving Smith with no chance.


Smith kept it at 1-0 moments later when he came out quickly to save from Smyth as the Rocester skipper stole in behind the defence onto Tom Brown’s through-ball.


Quorn fought back briefly in the moments leading up to the break by forcing a couple of corners and a free kick that was eventually cleared away, but Rocester deservedly ended the half with their narrow lead intact.


It was more of the same throughout the second period as the Romans continued to ask all the questions. Their excellent football deserved more, but with just a one-goal lead there was always the danger of Quorn nicking something.


The elusive second goal looked certain when another swift move down the right saw Roome cut the ball back. Brown dummied it superbly to leave Smyth with a clear shot at goal, and he struck it beautifully first time in his stride only for Smith to produce the save of the match, leaping to his left to palm it out for a corner.


Smyth was not to be denied however, and in the 66th minute he scored an absolute cracker. Picking the ball up some 30 yards out there didn’t seem to be too much danger, but he saw an opening and promptly smashed it into the net.


With a two-goal cushion the Romans could at last relax a little, and two or three chances went begging when shots from distance were taken instead of other options.


There was still a big finis to come though, and that was provided by substitute Liam Shaw who made sure he got to Smyth’s through-ball first before crashing it past Smith on the run from the edge of the area.


Romans: Froggatt; Frost; Szondi; Simpson; Yeomans; Allen (C.Martin 30); Smyth; Brown; Roome (Bates 88); Lynch; Riddell (Shaw 84). Subs not used: Nutt; Ritchie-Smith.