Tuesday 25th August 2015


Midland Football League Premier Division


Brocton 3 Rocester 0


Rocester are still looking for their first point of their Midland Football League Premier Division campaign after an abject display at fellow strugglers Brocton on Tuesday evening.

Brocton must have thought Christmas had come early as the Romans offered little in the way resistance, the hosts hitting three without reply to collect their first points of the season.

Brocton could have taken the lead on six minutes when Romans keeper Richard Froggatt spilled Dave Berks’ cross under pressure, but Matt Hardiman hooked his shot over the bar after pouncing on the loose ball.

Both sides hit the woodwork early on, Rocester’s Karl Demidh clipping the angle of bar and upright with an in-swinging corner while the hosts’ Dan Lomas saw his shot skim the near post, but the match quickly degenerated into a sloppy disjointed affair.

Rocester’s best chance during this period came when Tom Brown broke clear of the Brocton defence only to fire his effort straight at Callum Barrett.  Although they occasionally strung together moves into the Brocton box, the Romans found the end product lacking.  Kyle Wadworth played a neat one-two with Brown but Barrett comfortably kept out his shot, while a similar link-up between Rob Ritchie-Smith and Gerry Moran came to nought when the former’s tame cross was claimed by the Brocton keeper.

The hosts were barely better; a mazy run from Berks ended when lost his footing in the box while Gary Fife blazed wide with the goal at his mercy.  It therefore came as a to the Romans then when Fife’s looping header two minutes before the break gave Brocton a half time lead.   

A quick move shortly after the interval saw Dan Martin spread the ball wide to Demidh, who fed Ritchie-Smith for a shot which Barrett was called upon to palm away.

However, any hopes of this sparking a Rocester revival were soon dashed, and it again took the woodwork to deny Brocton as Joshua Wilson thudded a shot against the near post on 57 minutes.  The same player doubled Brocton’s lead two minutes later when he capped a quick counter-attacking move with a low strike from the corner of the box.

Charlie Jones blasted wide of Froggatt’s goal after pouncing on a loose ball as the hosts continued to have the Romans on the ropes, and Wilson found himself denied by the post for a second time.

Fife completed the scoring on 76 minutes when he burst through a gap in the Rocester defence and lifted the ball over the exposed Froggatt.

A flash of inspiration from Demidh saw him hit the bar, and the striker also delivered a dangerous cross to Ritchie-Smith - unattended at the far post - only for him to screw his shot wide of the target.  Brown also had a half chance two minutes from time with a shot on the turn that forced Barrett into a save, but it was too little too late.

Scorers: Brocton - Fife (43) (76), J.Wilson (59).

Brocton: Barrett, Ablewhite, Hardiman, Tomlinson, Skinner, Jones (Ions 78), Farrell (J Wilson 46), J D Wilson (Rudd 76), Fife, Berks, Lomas.

Romans: Froggatt, Wadsworth (Nutt 64), D Allen, Land, Mottershead, Martin (C Allen 66), Moran (Carty 64), Brown, Ritchie-Smith, Demidh, Rushby.

Romans Star Man: Karl Demidh – capable of occasional flashes of inspiration.

Referee: Mr. S. Walker (Stoke-on-Trent).

Attendance: 67